First of all, Happy New Year’s Eve! New Year’s is my favorite holiday for many reasons, but the feeling of starting fresh is definitely high on the list. I’m really excited for that this year, as 2019 was a tough one for us. Onwards and, hopefully, upwards – amirite?!
Anyways, last year I created my own diverse reading monthly challenge, the Just One More Pa(i)ge Reading Challenge 2019, with a prompt for each month. And it was a really cool experience to create it and keep up with it. Plus, I loved seeing what other followers read on any given month. Unfortunately, I just didn’t have time to put something together for 2020. It happens.
However, I did want a little structure to my reading this year. Something flexible, something diverse. The Reading Women Challenge (IG handle: @thereadingwomen) fits the bill perfectly. It’s 24 prompts over the course of the year – read them whenever and however works for you. I’m going to go for it!
Reading Women Challenge 2020
Here’s a list of the prompts:
- Author from Caribbean or India
- Translated from an Asian Language
- About the Environment
- Picture Book by a BIPOC Author
- Stella or Women’s Prize Winner
- Nonfiction by a Woman Historian
- Afrofuturism or Africanfuturism
- An Anthology by Multiple Authors
- Inspired by Folklore
- About a Woman Artist
- Read and Watch a Book-to-Movie Adaptation
- About a Woman Who Inspires You
- By an Arab Woman
- Set in Japan/by a Japanese Author
- A Biography
- Featuring a Woman with a Disability
- Over 500 pages
- Under 100 pages
- Frequently Recommended to You
- A Feel-Good/Happy Book
- A Book about Food
- By a Favorite or New-to-You Publisher
- By an LGBTQ+ Author
- From the 2019 Reading Women Award Shortlists
If you have any suggestions for any of the prompts, please leave them in a comment. I’m working on making a plan now and would love any recommendations you have!